Saturday, 10 April 2010

Argentine lady in cafe

As I sit in this Buenos Aires café, I watch a lady at a table in front on me, chomping on her salad hungrily, occasionally sipping her Coca Zero. She stabs at the leaves with her fork – I’m sure you’d see determination in her eyes, if they weren’t covered with large bee-like designer sunglasses. She’s an attractive woman, but I can’t guess her age. Perhaps forty? It’s hard to tell, as she’s had a fair bit of surgery – both on face and breasts. Her little black dress is short, and her long dyed blonde hair is tied with a huge 90s style scrunchy. She gesticulates as she talks, and she talks with impressive speed, contorting her face dramatically when she disagrees with something her companion says. Her plate is cleared and a cortado (small coffee) comes. She sips, and continues to talk loudly and gesticulate. This is the typical middle class Argentine woman. I don’t know why, but it’s mesmerising viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment